Saturday, March 2, 2013

My basic sin: Ungodliness

This morning I read Isaiah 14-18 and found that God really rebuking me through Isaiah 17:10-11.

 10 You have forgotten God your Savior;
   you have not remembered the Rock, your fortress.
Therefore, though you set out the finest plants
   and plant imported vines,
11 though on the day you set them out, you make them grow,
   and on the morning when you plant them, you bring them to bud,
yet the harvest will be as nothing
   in the day of disease and incurable pain.

I would like to write (type) these verses with specific things that the Holy Spirit really spoke to me about my sin, especially the unseen one.

Novi, you have forgotten God your Savior;
you have not remembered the Rock, your fortress.
Therefore, though you set out the Words of mine
and plant imported Christian books and sermons in your heart,
though on the day you set them out, you make them grow,
and on the morning when you plant them, you bring them to bud,
yet the harvest will be as nothing
in the day of disease and incurable pain. 

I really felt like God was slapping my face for my sin. That's really scary to find myself keep going to church, joining in ministry, inviting and leading people to Christ, praying for a lot of people, reading the Bible and even memorizing some verses, fasting during the Lent Season, but forgetting my God, my Savior and have not remember Him as my Rock, my fortress.

Few days ago as I continue to read the book Respectable Sins, I read that the biggest sin that Christians have is ungodliness (Ind-kefasikan). You can pray, read the bible, join in ministry, even preach, but forgetting God. You do every "Christian-activity" with your own understanding, and focus toward yourself or the people but not God. In that book, ungodliness is defined as a non-responsive attitude toward God by give little or no thought to God and shows a meager desire to know him. Jerry Bridges even stated that this sin is the basic of all sins, include pride.

This morning as I read Isaiah 17:10-11, I realized that I have been so ungodly by forgetting Him and have no desire to know Him deeper, even though I keep living a "Christian" life. I often feel that I already know God much, I do not do any effort to know Him deeper. The punishment is waiting: yet the harvest will be as nothing in the day of disease and incurable pain. I feel like trembling every time I read the last sentence.

The ungodliness has been lead me to do other sins: pride, self-centered, gossip, wasting time, lazy, speak harm words, stubborn, negative thinking, thinking on what is impure, etc. The ungodliness is really serious because it leads me to a broken relationship with God, especially when I think that I am a Christian and already in Him.

When I came to God with a prayer of confession and repentance this morning, I found God's mercy. God loves me and does not want to harm me. Instead, God wants the harvest of my hard works in studying and meditating on His words will be as my strength in the day of disease and incurable pain. He wants me to really  know my God and keep desiring to know Him in a deeper level each day by always remembering Him in everything I do. He wants me to always remembering Him as my Rock, my fortress, every single minute of my life. As I reflected on this past week, I found myself was looking for something else instead of Jesus Christ, especially when troubles came. So sad....

I thank my God that last Sunday and Tuesday, both in Sunday Celebration and LIFE Group, we learned what Jesus said about, "Abide in Me" (John 15). That's God really wants me to do. Abide in Him, abide in Jesus Christ, so I will not forget Him and always remember that He is my Rock, my fortress, every single minute of my life, in everything I do. And that's what God wants you to do. Yes, you! You who read this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment