Friday, February 8, 2013

Take Refuge in the LORD

As I continue to read the book of Psalm, I found these two verses really revealing my heart issue.

Psalm 118
8 It is better to take refuge in the LORD
   than to trust in humans.
9 It is better to take refuge in the LORD
   than to trust in princes.

Instead of taking refuge in the LORD, often I put my trust in humans, who cannot be trusted. They can be my family and friends.
Instead of taking refuge in the LORD, often I put my trust in princes, who lead. They can be pastors, church-leaders, seniors, bosses, people in the governments, my dad, my brother, my loves one or even husband in the future.

I was wondering why did the psalmist use the phrase "take refuge in the LORD" instead of "trust in the LORD"?

I think the phrase "take refuge in the LORD" provides a guarantee that we are protected in Him; physically, mentally, spiritually. If we trust in humans and princes, what will be the guarantee that they always protect us? They are sinners, just like me. They cannot be trusted.

Somehow, I remember this verse from Isaiah 2:
22 Stop trusting in mere humans,
   who have but a breath in their nostrils.
   Why hold them in esteem?


And this is my prayer, that you and I will always take refuge in the LORD than to trust in humans and princes.

No comments:

Post a Comment