Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Chosen for God's glory

Fiuuuuhhh. I just finished to print my first written narrative report. On Thursday and Friday, I am going to have my first Parent-Teacher-Conference. Somehow, I just amazed at how could God turned me from a student to a teacher. Hello, for many many many years I had been a student, I never imagined that one day like today would happened. Here I am, sitting on my chair, just realized that less than 50 hours ahead I will meet the parents of my students.

O-M-G. Who am I? A teacher??? Seriously. How could I become a teacher?

For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. (Ephesians 2:10)

I was 4, going on 5 years old when I had a teacher for the first time. My first kindergarten teacher was a young woman named Erna. I forgot what she looks like. I just remember her name, her gentleness, her good drawing on the blackboard, and my obsession to be like her. Yes, I wanted to be a teacher. I liked to imitate her teaching style while I was playing at home. I liked to pretend becoming a teacher and teach.

I don't remember why and how, but as the years went by, I kept dreaming to be a teacher. When I was in elementary school, my dad was the one who faithfully took my report card at school. Usually the teacher would say, "Novi is very talk-active at school". That statement would made my dad laugh. To deal with my talk-activeness, my homeroom teachers decided to entrust me an important role in the classroom: monitoring my classmates so that I would be quiet and stop talking too much. Oh, how I loved that job! I also felt very happy to do everything that my teacher asked me. And somehow, I was proud when my teacher asked me to write something on the blackboard. I felt like a teacher-assistant.

I grew and became a sixth grader student. Surprisingly, my homeroom teacher gave me a book to take a note of my classmates' wrong doing in the classroom. For example, if my classmates did not bring the correct lesson book or fighting in the classroom, I would take a note of their deeds. I had to take a note of mine too if I forgot to bring my book or do any other mistakes. As long as I could remember, I was the only student in the class who had the privilege to open my teacher's cupboard.

When I was in grade 8, I knew some teachers trusted me for some special jobs to do. I became the class' secretary and wrote a lot on the blackboard. I brought my class' books to our Math teacher because he asked me to do. 

The last time I became the class' secretary was in grade 10. I remembered my homeroom teacher trusted me to fill the absence book everyday. One day, the school's janitor found my class' absence book inside the bin. My homeroom teacher thought that someone might do it to harm me or protect himself (maybe the student with the most absence days). Well, no one knew.

I started to give tutorial to kids when I was in grade 10. In Indonesia we said, "ngelesin".

When I was in grade 12, I forgot my childhood dream of becoming a teacher. None of my friends would like to be a teacher. Well, I thought about a thousand jobs to do in the future, but not teaching.

But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations. (Psalm 33:11)

5 years ago, I prayed that God would led me to be someone he wanted me to be. I made a covenant with him. I promised to follow his will for my future if he paid in full my education fee in university, so that I would not be a burden for my parents. And God did so.

Long story short, from 2009-2013 I received 100% scholarship and had been a student of UPH Teachers College. When my friends heard about it, some of them asked, "A teacher?! How could you make money?"

But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things--and the things that are not--to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. (1 Corinthians 1:27-29)

Here I am now, becoming a kindergarten teacher in a national plus school in Palembang. Well, I am just a new, fresh graduated teacher. My dad passed away six months ago. My mom is almost 60 and does not work. My brother needs much money to pay his education fee in university. So, how could I make money?

I don't make it. God does it. Don't ask me the detail. I am not good in Math, especially God's Math. We just have enough for everyday and for my brother's education. We don't lack anything. That's all I know.

Flash back to my childhood experiences, feelings, and dream.... I think that in him I was and am chosen to be a teacher, according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will. Although I am sure that he wants to be glorified through and in me as I respond to his calling to be a teacher.... I still need to keep asking and seeking what is pleasing to the Lord, what is his will for me to do, and what kind of a teacher he wants me to be so that he alone will be praised for his glory.

In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory (Ephesians 1:11-12).

The story is keep going.... I am just starting to be a teacher, just as God wants me to be. How about you? You were also chosen, having been predestined according to his plan.... with the purpose of his will. How is your story?

No comments:

Post a Comment